THE LONDON BOROUGH OF MERTON was formed in 1965.
It incorporates four ancient Surrey parishes:-
MERTON HISTORICAL SOCIETY limits itself to the history of Merton, Mitcham and Morden, except where properties extended across parish boundaries.
THE WIMBLEDON SOCIETY, formed in 1904 as the John Evelyn Society, has interested itself in the history of Wimbledon for many years, building up an expertise not to be rivalled. Merton Historical Society is happy to leave Wimbledon's history in such safe hands.
It also runs the Wimbledon Society Museum of Local History at 22 Ridgway, Wimbledon, London SW19 4QN, open Saturday & Sunday 14.30-17.00. Admission free.
A new attraction, 'Pictures from the Past', is a database of digitised images of the 2500 photographs, 500 postcards and 500 prints, drawings and watercolours, not just of Wimbledon but of other scenes in our locality.
Visit their website at: www. wimbledonmuseum.org.uk