Morden in 1838:
The Tithe Apportionment Map
Local History Notes 13: ed. Peter Hopkins
The tithe apportionment for Morden, which is the earliest for the four ancient parishes which make up the present London Borough of Merton, dates from 1838. It is also one of the most detailed, covering every property in Morden, and providing field names for almost every field. The map identifies each field and building with a number, and the accompanying schedule also gives the name of the owner and the occupier, its area (in acres, roods and perches), and, in most cases, the use to which it was put.
This edition follows the original apportionment by listing landowners alphabetically, with the lands then arranged by occupants. A much-reduced copy of the map is reproduced on the centre pages, followed by a series of extracts, at the original scale, covering the main residential areas. This is followed by an index in numerical order, giving owners and occupiers.
Extracts from Robson's Commercial Directory of 1838 and Pigot's Directory of 1839 have also been included to provide further information on the various individuals mentioned in the apportionment.
Finally some small-scale maps are included to show the various estates of the landowners and tenants, and the use to which the land was put.
Extract from the Introduction